every time Little Numbers comes on the radio I still get a little misty eyed
A Great Big World - Already Home (Starring Darren Criss & Jessica Szohr)
Full Klaine scene from 5.16 including “Love is a Battlefield”
There is so much I love about this whole scene—
The tension between Kurt and Blaine rolling into the song— all the little slights and irritations have been simmering on both sides, and then they figuratively and literally launch into attack!
I love the “admirer” trying to make time with Kurt, and the look he shoots Blaine when Blaine pulls Kurt away.
I love the instructor— so enthusiastic— and frankly one of the first NYADA professors I actually felt was competent in his subject.
The staging of the fight during the song told SO MUCH story, Kurt and Blaine mirroring each other, at odds with each other, frustration and anger very palpable but tightly controlled. Visually powerful staging too.
When Kurt gets his first good “thwack” at Blaine— you can see one of Kurts “admirers” squee and clap his hands in the background. I loved that detail.
Kurt is on the offensive out of the gate, relentless— and Blaine fights back with more vigor but can’t keep his control focused and flounders. Even after Kurt’s earlier inner dialogue about noticing Blaine is having a hard time adjusting at NYADA and trying to look out for him— he is holding nothing back here.
The humiliation Blaine feels at being beaten, and I feel more the point the way he was beaten (being TROUNCED by his fiancé in front of fellow classmates, a handful of whom had been openly drooling over Kurt), not just that he “lost the fight”, mixed in with the jumble of emotions swirling the tables turning and elements of “Leading Man” and competitiveness and trust… and how all these abstract concepts crystalized in the physical portrayal of this fight, of this scene— packed such a powerful punch for me as a viewer!
Masterfully staged and masterfully acted by both Darren and Chris.
I am truly in awe.
drying ink: continued; a second playlist for writers who need a little inspiration
1. Do You Recall - Royal Wood // 2. Is There A Ghost - Band of Horses // 3. You’re a Wolf - Sea Wolf // 3. And The World Was Gone - Snow Ghosts // 4. Death’s Song - City and Colour // 5. Weighty Ghost - Wintersleep // 6. The Beat Stuff - Hannah Georgas // 7. Medicine - Daughter // 8. The Draw - Bastille // 9. No Light, No Light - Florence + The Machine //10. Ghosting - Freelance Whales // 11. Whatever You Like - Anya Marina // 12. Bluebird - Christina Perri // 13. All I Need - AWOLNATION // 14. One Day Like This - Elbow // 15. The Minnow and the Trout - A Fine Frenzy
drying ink;a playlist to help the words find your fingers1. True North - Jillette Johnson // 2. King and Lionheart - Of Monsters and Men // 3. The Nothing - Freelance Whales// 4. Something I Need - OneRepublic // 5. A World Alone - Lorde // 6. Keep Pushing Me - Gabrielle Aplin // 7. Fake Palindromes - Andrew Bird // 8. Streets of New York - Minor Soul // 9. Old Pine - Ben Howard// 10. Amen Omen - Ben Harper // 11. All This and Heaven Too - Florence + The Machine // 12. October - Broken Bells // 13. Rangers - A Fine Frenzy // 14. All In My Head - Missy Higgins // 15. Cough Syrup - Young the Giant // 16. Things We Lost in the Fire - Bastille // 17. Ghosts That We Knew - Mumford & Sons
♡ punk #tbt ♡;another one of those middle school playlists with the same songs you know all the words to.1. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
2. Dirty Little Secret - The All American Rejects
3. Whoa Oh! - Forever The Sickest Kids
4. The Great Escape - Boys Like Girls
5. Check Yes Juliet - We The Kings
6. I'm Just A Kid - Simple Plan
7. Stacy's Mom - Fountains of Wayne
8. Just The Girl - The Click Five
9. Sugar, We're Going Down - Fall Out Boy
10. All The Small Things - Blink 182
11. Weightless- All Time Low
12. I Write Sins Not Tragedies- Panic! At The Disco
13. That's What You Get- Paramore
14. American Idiot - Green Day
15. Mr. Brightside- The Killers
16. Absolutely (Story of a Girl) - Nine Days
17. 1985- Bowling For Soup
18. Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
Aaaand here’s the full song. As I was saying, this song haunted me for literally years. This is only audio, no video footage, no words, over 8 minutes long, but beautiful.
Songs you listened to in middle school and early high school that you probably know all the words to
Face Down- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus// I’m Not Okay- My Chemical Romance// Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down- Fall Out Boy// American Idiot- Green Day// Crushcrushcrush- Paramore// The Middle- Jimmy Eat World// Dear Maria, Count Me In- All Time Low// The Church Of Hot Addiction- Cobra Starship// Build God, Then We’ll Talk- Panic! At The Disco// About a Girl- The Academy Is…// Hero/Heroine- Boys Like Girls// Mr. Brightside- The Killers// Dance Floor Anthem- Good Charlotte// Check Yes Juliet- We The Kings// Dirty Little Secret- The All-American Rejects// Miserable At Best- Mayday Parade// Trouble- Never Shout Never//